Wednesday, September 17, 2008

neighbors

I think that in a place with such close communal living, it is best to:
1. mind your own business!
2. understand your neighbour's tolence of space, noise,.....

My neighbor likes to leave his rubbish bag outside his house.
Sometimes when I return back, that bag of rubbish is still there.
And I thought....hmmm.....how unhygenic.
Already there are cockroaches...which I smack DEAD!!!
I don't intend to attract RATS!.....there are rats in the basement carpark.....maybe they might learn to climb staircases....and I don't intend to run into them on my floor.
I suspect, this neighbour thinks that the cleaner will conveniently remove his rubbish for him.
Pleeez.....the rubbish chute is like.....10 steps away.

Now about that majong lady.....
And the saga continues.
Last night, the majong session ran till midnight.
Her majong gang came again today.

Well, maybe majong gang thinks, 'hey, midnight on a weekday night is REAL early!'.
Well, I am definitely still awake.
If the living room is noisy, I work in bedroom 2 which now has a table:-).
And if they are still at it when I go to bed, I just close my doors, curtains, windows, and on my aircon......and I don't hear them anymore!

I remember when she had her majong sessions before, the neighbors have not moved in.
Now that she has neighbours, I think she needs to be sensitive to other people's level of tolerance.

There is a solution you know:
1. Don't play majong on the balcony....move it indoors.
I think on weekends, I do hear people upstairs have majong sessions....but they play indoors....so the sound is not so transparent.

2. Stop at 10 pm.
I notice people here sleep quite early. Just go outside and see whose lights are on and whose lights are not. Plus if neighbors have small children, they tend to go to bed very early.



Since I am also in the 'noise' business....
I checked...
HDB rulings are that noise can be tolerated (ie, no grounds for police reports or town council reports)
between 7am and 10pm

I've also checked business registrations which can be conducted at private homes and HDB.

I guess a good yardstick is to observe when the construction works next door begins and ends.
The piling starts at 8am and stops at 5pm.

****
There are solutions you know:
1. Close all curtains and doors and on the aircon. This will contain the noise level within the apartment.
2. Moderation.
3. Invest in sound proofing.....my student did that for her son which plays the DRUM!!!!
I will need about 7k to soundproof......Well if I ever need to soundproof....I will soundproof the smallest room....hehe...cost less. Even then the sound will escape through the windows and door.
4. Invest in thick curtains and carpet the small bedroom....will have to think if I ever do this, I will definitely stay here for long term.
5. Go upgrade to private HOUSE.
Or I can move HOME......my neighbours have heard me play from kindergarden to now.....and I have a GRAND piano!

Quite a few units have DOGS....
now initially madam D have been complaining about her neighbors' barkative dog.
But now she got better things to do.
Oh...btw, last night, madam D called my hp....and asked me if majong lady is on her balcony playing majong.
She is like the self-designated 'block monitress'.

Moral of the story....
Very important: MIND MY OWN BUSINESS

No comments: