Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The quest for the perfect dining table

Sunny day! Perfect to set off on a full day hunt for my dream dining table set....

Planned itenary:
1. stop at bank to set aside budget for dining table
2. Castilla (I got 20% discount vouchers)
3. Air at Wilkies Road
4. Urban Foundry 18 purvis rd www.urban-foundry.com
5. Lush www.lush-lush.com

Castilla...
This is my 2nd round of Castilla. They have the most beautiful marble dining tables.
BUT.....5K for table alone minus chairs.
I was even shown a marble dining table that was extendable.....only one that I've seen so far.

Walk down the road to Air....
I've always liked what I see at Air. But this time I decided to check out their flagship showroom at Wilkies Road.
The hard-to-locate entrace (reminds me of the Lourve Museum in Paris where we went round and round when the pyramid was the entrance)....duh!....
I liked what I saw here.
Things that I liked were around 3K
There was one with white marble on solid teak legs....about 4K.

Headed down middle road towards raffles hotel next....
Urban Foundry...
cool place.
I like this place.
The lady that attended to me was very patient in showing me the stuff that they carry.
What impressed me MOST was her sincerity and HONESTY!!!!!
Remember that harvey norman dining?
I saw a coffee table with that type of marble....
lady said that was Black Macquina....has been discontinued because it chips easily

Then I was shown a selection of white marble samples:
Volex: has brown/green grains
Bianco carrena: has greyish tints
Sartinaro lightly viened: base is pure white
Granite: if I want black to go for granite

cool....
1.8 x 0.9 x 0.75 costs $3710

1.6 x 0.9 x 0.75 costs $3440 can be brought down to $3239.10
includes transportation and I can go with lady to her supplier to pick out the marble that I like.

Marble mounted on wooden legs are cheaper...$3160

I just SOOOOOO lurv their service.
Their marbles come from Italy

This place gets 5 STAR vote from me.
Er....I only have a budget of 2.8K for table and chairs and transport!!!!!

By this time both my feet had blisters...so time to put plaster and grab some lunch.
Lunch was $3.90 nasi lemak at Beach road place.
hehe....I find myself looking for cheap lunch these days....

Then final stop LUSH.
Things look so spread out on the map....but immediately after Irving road was kapo factory...quick ring the bell.....phew....made it.
It was not too difficult to find...Lush was in this building called Centro Bianco...luckily the advert says next to Kapo Factory....

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!
The 3 Beautiful dining tables, with spastic legs had legs made of CHROME.
Now, between chrome legs and stainless steel legs...I'd go for stainless steel.
Chrome will lose the luster and after a while it will rust.
Now I am the type of buyer that expects some mileage out of my purchase...read....need to last donkey years like 10, 20 or more!

So I looked at other things.
Egg chair: $1,200
Barcelona chair: $825....Moopak selling $900
White granite round side table with fibreglass base: $420....this is cheap...urban foundry selling $880.
Benz Bench: $680...but TAKEN!!!!!
Swan chair: $818
Corona lounge chair: $1300
Furry cushions: $35 each
Furry rugs: $380 - 480

Called Moopak to find out what was the 2 slabs of marble they have:
black macquina...hmmm
Light applelano brown

Looks like the ones I was at Lush.....
The lush marbles come from CHINA.

****
Well marble is marble....and budget is budget.....
I am going Moopak on Friday.
Spoke to the owner.

1. They can customise...meaning....I can bring in a photo...of what I saw that I like in a magazine...and they can make it for me.
2. I can have Steel legs!! yippee.
3. They have new types of marble....well this one I have to see first.
But it looks like it will be moopak marble ....unless I have some windfall or something....then I will definitely go to Urban Foundry.

No comments: